BICYCLE SAFETY FUN!
Charles Geary, Esq. is known as the Bike Attorney. He has the following common sense bicycle safety tips for you and your children:
- Teach cycling safety to children at an early age.
- Encourage young cyclists to stay off the streets and to cycle on bike paths and sidewalks.
- Frequently check all mechanical functions on your child’s bicycle. Pay special attention to the brakes. Check for loose bolts and nuts. Maintain and lubricate the bike often.
- Be sure kids’ bikes are of an appropriate size. Ill-fitting bikes are difficult to control and dangerous.
- Check tire pressure often.
- Always wear a helmet. Be sure the helmet fits properly.
- Do not wear headphones while riding. Headphones are distracting and illegal in Florida.
- Do not text and cycle. Texting is a major distraction and often leads to accident and injury.
- Always ride in single file.
- Obey traffic signs and traffic lights.
- Always use hand signals.
- Watch out for parked cars. One of the doors may open as you pass. If the person in the car fails to see you before opening their door, you could have a car door directly in your path. This often happens and with frequent injury to the cyclists.
- Add reflectors and bright lights to your bike.
- Wear reflective cycling clothing while riding.
- Always keep both hands on the handlebars.
- Cross Streets at intersections only. Walk your bike across busy intersections using the designated crosswalk.
These simple rules can help avoid accidents and put you on the road to a life time of bicycle safety and fun.
Charles Geary is known as the “Bike Lawyer” from Stuart, Florida. He practices law all over the state of Florida. He is an avid cyclist and is active in many cycling groups and cycling advocacy groups. He is available now to discuss your bicycle accident case. Call him at 772-288-4357.